Picture Gallery

  1. A Saxon church was on or near where the church is today. This was the 9th century giving 1,200 years of Christian worship in this place. It has been suggested that the Saxon church was nearer North Street because there is some evidence that the river bed then was where the church is today and has been straightened. Possibly a wooden church, but possibly in stone, similar to the Saxon church at Studland. It was a Minster church serving the settlements up the valley of the Cerne and the valleys going north.
  2. In the 10th century a little new church in Norman style of a nave and possibly two transepts.  There could have been a small tower and chancel. The chancel arch is all that remains of that building.
  3. In the 12th century a new church was built. In early English style with strong pillars, a chancel, bigger than the present chancel, a small tower and two narrow aisles similar to the aisle near the vicar’s vestry.
  4. In the 14th century the Trenchard’s of Wolveton then built on the chapel on the south side, with a new porch. The chapel was known as the Wolfeton Chapel, possibly as a chantry.
  5. About the year 1500 Sir Thomas Trenchard caused the erection of the present tower and the two vestrys.
  6. At the time of the Reformation the chancel was demolished and a window put in the arch with a low stone wall.  No altar just a communion table.
  7. Not a lot of change in the next couple of hundred years until 1837 when the north wall (the narrow north aisle was pushed back some 12 feet to enlarge the church.
  8. In 1897 the roof was in very poor condition and a new roof replaced the old one (the line of the old one can still be seen). At that time the present pews were installed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes